[tahoe-dev] server selection

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Wed Apr 22 16:34:09 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 21 April 2009 02:50:41 pm Brian Warner wrote:
> We picked the pseudo-random permuted serverlist to get these properties.
> I'd love to be able to get stronger diversity among hosts, racks, or data
> centers, but I don't yet know how to get that '''and''' get the properties
> listed above, while keeping the filecaps small.

Well, there's always the old CS aphorism:  "There is no problem in computing
that cannot be solved (or created) by another layer of indirection".

What about using the permuted list to find a set of servers that know the set
of servers that hold the shares?  The share location list deployed to the
first n servers in the permuted server list would be small, so it wouldn't
impose a large burden either on servers storing the list or on clients
uploading the list, and it would allow complete freedom to place shares
wherever the client wants them.

	Shawn.