[tahoe-dev] No module named python....

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Tue Aug 4 12:48:17 UTC 2009

Hello Samps Okholm.

Thanks for the report.

Our apt repositories are not fully operational at this time, see
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/DownloadDebianPackages for
details.  I'm surprised that you managed to install Tahoe-LAFS at all
with "apt-get".  That wiki page I just referenced suggests that you
use http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk/docs/install.html instead
of apt-get, and emphasizes that this will not in any way interfere
with your system configuration.

Hm, in fact from what you report it looks like you have Tahoe-LAFS
installed *not* from apt but from running either "python ./setup.py
install" or from running "easy_install allmydata-tahoe".  Do you
remember which of those you tried?  More interestingly to me, what
document did you read that made you think of trying that?  Whatever
document suggested that to you, I want to find it and change it to
instead suggest that you follow the instructions in http://
allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk/docs/install.html .

A-ha!  I think I've found it.  I just removed a paragraph from the
DownloadDebianPackages page which mentioned that you could run
"python ./setup.py install" (although it wasn't exactly recommending
that you do so).  Is this the paragraph that led you to do that?

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/DownloadDebianPackages?
action=diff&version=24

Do you remember exactly what steps you took?  Because I don't
understand how you got /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
allmydata_tahoe-1.5.0_r4042-py2.5.egg/ into place without also
getting a working installation of Twisted.

Anyway, the short answer is: follow the instructions in
install.html , do not follow any instructions from any other
document, and you should be fine.