[tahoe-dev] No module named python....

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Aug 6 04:48:01 UTC 2009

Samps:

Thank you for writing to tell us what you tried.  The error message
saying "No module named python" is actually showing that a package
named Twisted is incorrectly installed in your system.  The error
message from your earlier post is:

     from twisted.python import usage
ImportError: No module named python

The Tahoe-LAFS install process does attempt to install Twisted if
Twisted is not already installed, but I can't think of any way in
which that install process would cause Twisted to be incorrectly
installed.  I wonder if you already had a broken installation of
Twisted before you started.  You can find out where Twisted lives on
your system with this command-line:

python -c 'import twisted;print twisted;print twisted.__version__'

You can see whether it is in this half-installed, broken state with
this command-line:

python -c 'import twisted.python;print twisted.python'

Perhaps you should uninstall and reinstall Twisted from the Ubuntu
packages, with the following command-line:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall python-twisted python-twisted-core
python-twisted-bin python-twisted-web

I'm sorry about this -- I don't think that the trouble could have
been caused by our build process, but I'm not sure and I'm not sure
how to figure out what has happened after the fact.

If you try this please report if it changes the behavior.  Thanks!