[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #734: Tahoe CLI with unicode patches applied fails when stdout is redirected

Andrej Falout andrej at falout.org
Sun Aug 9 03:08:22 UTC 2009

> > sqlite3.ProgrammingError: You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless
> > you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like
> > text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just
> > switch your application to Unicode strings.
>
> I think this is another instance of #629, and is occurring because your
> version of sqlite is more picky about 8bit strings than mine was. I've
> updated the ticket with some potential directions.. I suspect this one
> should be pretty shallow, but I'll need to look more closely at sqlite
> to be sure.

Between this SQLite issue, broken Unicode functionality and client
disconnecting every few hours and then getting stuck, it seems to me that
Tahoe is unusable for any practical purpose?

I am a bit surprised that I am apparently the only person trying to use
'tahoe backup' functionality... can this be correct, or am I missing
something ?

Is anyone  on this list using Tahoe for more then hacking?

Please note: this is not intended to flame up passions or hurt feelings. I
am simply trying to determine if I can use Tahoe for a particular purpose, a
choice that is entirely my own fault.

Thanks,
Andrej