[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #778: "shares of happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is better

tahoe-lafs trac at allmydata.org
Wed Aug 12 05:57:42 UTC 2009

#778: "shares of happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is
better
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zooko               |           Owner:
     Type:  defect              |          Status:  new

Comment(by kevan):

 I'd be interested in trying to fix this.

 From what I can tell, share creation and uploading happens in two places:

   1. [source:/src/allmydata/immutable/upload.py upload.py], for immutable
 files.
   2. [source:/src/allmydata/mutable/publish.py publish.py], for mutable
 files (and dirnodes, since they're stored as mutable files)

 Am I missing any?

 I'm also a bit confused at the logic in
 [source:/src/allmydata/mutable/publish.py publish.py]. It doesn't seem to
 refer anywhere to the idea of a happiness value for shares -- is there a
 reason for this?

 In any case, this ticket (unless I'm misunderstanding something) breaks
 down something like this:

   1. Update the documentation to reflect the change to servers of
 happiness.
   1. Alter/add tests
   1. Figure out a sane default value for "servers of happiness".
   1. Determine + implement new share placement algorithms for
 [source:/src/allmydata/mutable/publish.py publish.py] and
 [source:/src/allmydata/immutable/upload.py upload.py].

 Thoughts?

--
Ticket URL: <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/778#comment:2>
tahoe-lafs <http://allmydata.org>