[tahoe-dev] Install Trouble, gcc errors

Josh Wilcox wilcoxjg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:59:57 UTC 2009

I'm attempting to install tahoe per the instructions here:

http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk/docs/install.html

Following the command:
"python setup.py" run in the top level directory of the freshly unzipped
tahoe source

The I get the following, at the end of the install output:

"""
Running pycryptopp-0.5.15/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
/tmp/easy_install-p2hE68/pycryptopp-0.5.15/egg-dist-tmp-8gF_HB

darcs failed:  Not a repository: . (./_darcs/inventory: openBinaryFile: does
not exist (No such file or directory))
setup.py darcsver: Failure from attempt to find version tags with 'darcs
changes', and pycryptopp/_version.py already exists, so leaving it alone.
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status
1"""

Hmmmm...   what's up with gcc?

"""
arc at showertimedepot:~/downloads/lafs_not_darcs/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0$
apt-cache policy gcc
gcc:
  Installed: 4:4.3.1-1ubuntu2
  Candidate: 4:4.3.1-1ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 4:4.3.1-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
arc at showertimedepot:~/downloads/lafs_not_darcs/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0$ which
gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
arc at showertimedepot:~/downloads/lafs_not_darcs/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0$ type
gcc
gcc is /usr/bin/gcc
arc at showertimedepot:~/downloads/lafs_not_darcs/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0$ gcc
--version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2

"""
--Josh
--
http://allmydata.org

"Do not go gentle into that good night...
Rage, rage against the dying of the light"
Dylan Thomas