[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #778: "shares of happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is better

tahoe-lafs trac at allmydata.org
Mon Aug 17 02:24:31 UTC 2009

#778: "shares of happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is
better
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zooko               |           Owner:
     Type:  defect              |          Status:  new

Comment(by kevan):

 Yes -- sorry, I didn't think that comment through.

 What I meant to say is that in fixing the problem for metacrob (in that
 tahoe will report failure for his grid), we end up making tahoe unusable
 for people who happen to have small grids (i.e.: one or two or whatever
 storage nodes, where whatever < k) and don't especially care about the
 behavior that we're implementing. That's why I think it is a good idea to
 support the "don't care" behavior somehow -- it doesn't seem particularly
 hard to support, and not doing it potentially makes tahoe a lot harder to
 use for some users. Hopefully that's clearer.

--
Ticket URL: <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/778#comment:16>
tahoe-lafs <http://allmydata.org>