[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS key management, part 2: Tahoe-LAFS is like encrypted git

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Wed Aug 19 16:05:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:28:45AM -0600, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:

> [*] Linus Torvalds got the idea of a Cryptographic Hash Function
> Directed Acyclic Graph structure from an earlier distributed revision
> control tool named Monotone.  He didn't go out of his way to give
> credit to Monotone, and many people mistakenly think that he invented
> the idea.

OT trivia: The idea actually predates either monotone or git; opencm
(http://opencm.org/docs.html) was using a similiar technique for VCS
access control a year or two prior to monotone's first release. AFAIK
Graydon Hoare (the original monotone designer) came up with the
technique independently of the opencm design. I'm actually not certain
that opencm originated the technique, either; all I can say for
certain is that it was using it prior to monotone or git.

-Jack