[tahoe-dev] Down with ECDSA

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 22:53:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM, James A. Donald<jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
>  > http://bench.cr.yp.to/results-sign.html
>
> Looking at those benchmarks, it looks like everything
> faster than ecdonaldp160 can be broken in a couple of
> months by a single good desktop computer, so
> ecdonaldp160 is the fastest public key algorithm left
> standing of the algorithms benchmarked.
>
> Am I reading the benchmarks correctly?

I think so.  See also:

On the Security of 1024-bit RSA and 160-bit Elliptic Curve Cryptography

Joppe W. Bos and Marcelo E. Kaihara and Thorsten Kleinjung and Arjen
K. Lenstra and Peter L. Montgomery

http://eprint.iacr.org/2009/389

We're currently planning to use 192-bit ECDSA with the Brainpool curve:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lochter-pkix-brainpool-ecc-03