[tahoe-dev] Karmic packaging updates

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Sun Aug 23 01:39:29 UTC 2009

Just a quick note about my debian packaging efforts before I run off to
dinner. I've created source packages for Jaunty that are mostly
lintian-clean (the remaining warnings are about missing man pages and
"initial upload doesn't close ITP bug"). There are copies in
http://allmydata.org/~warner/jaunty-1/ if you'd like to take a look.

I suspect these will build just find on Karmic too, but I haven't yet
spun up a karmic machine to test that out.

My next step (maybe later on tonight) will be to figure out enough about
signing the .changes file and the "dput" tool to upload these for review
to http://revu.ubuntuwire.com , to nudge them along the path towards
inclusion in Karmic "universe".

I made packages for all four things: tahoe, zfec, pycryptopp, and
foolscap. (foolscap is already in ubuntu but it's too old, pycryptopp is
in debian, not ubuntu, and is also too old, zfec and tahoe aren't in
either debian nor ubuntu). The packaging process got a lot easier after
I ripped out most of the custom stuff in our setup.py files, and all of
the aliases in setup.cfg . The debian diff includes a substantial patch
to those two files. I'd like to see how we might reduce our
customizations in the trunk too: in particular I'd like to make
"setup.py build" go back to normal and document some other command
(perhaps "setup.py build_tahoe"?) that users should run after they
unpack the source tree and before they invoke ./bin/tahoe for the first
time.