[tahoe-dev] Observations on Tahoe performance

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Aug 26 22:57:29 UTC 2009

Brian Warner wrote:
> But now
> you add the overhead of doing all of that disk IO, which will probably
> result in a slower overall upload as it stalls everything else you're
> trying to do (diskio always blocks the process, since nobody has a
> usable async filesystem API), as well as slamming the host and slowing
> down other processes.

QT has an async filesystem API, but last I heard no one had connected it
up to python yet, which may be an indicator it is not usable.

A python program on QT is usually written around a message pump, so
logically disk io completion events ought to arrive in the message
queue, like mouse events and keyboard events, but it is not apparent to
me that this is the way QT asynch file IO was designed.