[tahoe-dev] Deep-check --repair issues

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Fri Dec 4 08:08:38 UTC 2009

Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
> Running into an issue with the deep-check --repair tool.  My guess is
> that the ‘:’’s in the path are breaking the tool?  Any thoughts?

Huh. What version are you running? If you run it without the --repair
option, does it see all the files?

I suspect you're running into #625: cannot repair read-only mutable
files/directories (since "tahoe backup" creates a read-only mutable
directory for each snapshot). #746 is the same issue. However both
tickets report exceptions, whereas in your case it looks like it just
stopped traversing the directory.

Fortunately for you, I just commited code a few days ago to make "tahoe
backup" create the new immutable directories (instead of merely
read-only mutable directories). These new ones can be repaired. So once
 you upgrade to current trunk (or to the upcoming 1.6 release), any new
snapshots you create should not run into this problem.

This won't help you with the existing RO-mut snapshots that need repair,
alas. And fixing #625 is a fairly deep problem.. there's a quick hack
fix, but it's not satisfying, because it could cause write-availability
problems for writecap holders if/when a readcap holder repairs a mutable
file.

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/625