[tahoe-dev] would the Volunteer Grid be an appropriate host for our dependencies?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:25:15 UTC 2009

> Is this only a concern when building without an existing tahoe installation?

No, the build system can be configured to hit the public web gateway
at http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567 . See line 34 of setup.cfg:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/setup.cfg?rev=3996#L34

Tahoe-LAFS has always come with a usable web gateway so that content
stored in Tahoe-LAFS is conveniently accessible to people who don't
have the software installed.  (This is in contrast to certain other
p2p projects I've worked on or observed where only people who've gone
through the effort of installing the software are able to see any of
the content.)

For example, click this link:
http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%3Asnrfwfxatrci35zdgjnzxxx2ke%3Aunarxv347edtku3xzmefy4mcdmfngxzeb72iyqcadbjzjpczjx5a/index.html

Therefore, people who are building Tahoe-LAFS, whether or not they
already have a copy of Tahoe-LAFS installed, can fetch the
dependencies from a Tahoe-LAFS grid.

> Ideally, we should eat our own dogfood, and when downloading dependencies, download them from a repository over native tahoe protocols, and the protocols should handle a slow host already.

Ah there's the rub:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/287# download: tolerate
lost/missing servers

If someone would fix #287, then hosting your files on Tahoe-LAFS would
be better than hosting them on a single server using e.g. apache, even
if some of the storage servers were unreliable or slow.