[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-lafs and nodes behind NAT (behind another NAT)

Jody Harris havoc at harrisdev.com
Tue Dec 15 16:18:09 UTC 2009

I've attached a diagram of my grid for you to look at. Maybe you can help
explain to me what is happening.

Leaco (my ISP) is currently in the middle of rolling out a new ADSL
structure. (I got in on the late testing phase.) Because the roll-out is
incomplete, all of their customers with permanent IP addresses are still on
the old infrastructure. The new infrastructure is on local IPs and all
traffic is NATed from somewhere inside Leaco.

So, my machines are behind my router, which is behind another Leaco router.
I was under the impression that tahoe-lafs would not be able to easily
(without VPN or tunneling of some type) connect to the tahoe-lafs node at
this location.

Some time today (the node had been running for about 48 hours), the upload
helper on the server (at Rackspace) started being able to store shares on
"cat," and retrieve them (access via the web interface on the Rackspace
box). The helper is not able to access "Ricki," and shows "Ricki" as
offline. The introducer sees both boxes, and shows the IP address of my
internal network for both nodes.

Pardon the rather poor rendering that Dia did on this diagram.

jody
----
- Think carefully.
- Contra mundum - "Against the world" (St. Athanasius)
- Credo ut intelliga - "I believe that I may know" (St. Augustin of Hippo)