[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-lafs and nodes behind NAT (behind another NAT)

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Fri Dec 18 15:31:36 UTC 2009

On Friday 18 December 2009 08:00:24 am Jody Harris wrote:
> I'm just desperately brainstorming here. My dreams of my tahoe-lafs grid
> are still smoldering in the heap that is left after the realization of the
> problems introduced by non-publics IPs.

NAT and the associated loss of the original peer-based structure of the
Internet has done immeasureable damage to Internet innovation.  Asymmetric
network connections and ISP terms of service that restrict home "consumers"
from running "servers" have also done some damage, but we can mostly deal
with the former and just ignore the latter.  NAT, on the other hand, is a
killer.

IPv6 is our best hope, but adoption is agonizingly slow.  Comcast has
announced that their network will provide IPv6 to all subscribers in the next
two years; hopefully that will catalyze other ISPs to follow suit, and home
router manufacturers to properly configure their v6 stacks.  But at best
we're probably 5 years from realistically being able to expect every home
user to just have a v6 connection.  At best.

	Shawn.