[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-lafs and nodes behind NAT (behind another NAT)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Dec 20 22:41:10 UTC 2009

On Sunday, 2009-12-20, at 8:54 , Jody Harris wrote:

> So, running list of technologies that have overcome this problem:
>  - SIP
>  - IM file transfer
>  - BitTorrent
> I'm fully aware of the blood and gore involved in ripping out a
> piece of code like this and replacing it. It's going to be ugly.
> I'm just looking around for existing solutions.

As far as I am aware, all of the techniques employed by these
projects are already listed in the tickets under the "firewall" tag.
(As an aside, Greg Hazel, who has offered to contribute one
particularly sophisticated technique (#169), is one of the people who
made BitTorrent.)  The need at this point isn't to discover new
techniques (unless of course I am wrong and there is something that
we haven't thought of yet) but to code up the docs, tests,
integration, packaging and so on that would be required to close one
of those tickets.

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/169# tcp hole-punching!