[tahoe-dev] First pass at setting up Tahoe on Amazon Web Services (AWS) (was: Re: Changing n-of-k - where is that done?)

Peter Secor secorp at allmydata.com
Fri Dec 25 05:30:39 UTC 2009

No documentation yet, I'm just playing with it now and will send out
updates to this list and/or on IRC. Once I get a nice working solution,
I'll write up a HOWTO on it.

So far, the steps have been:
  * sign up for Amazon Web Services
  * find an appropriate image to run on the virtual machines (Ubuntu
Karmic Koala)
  * learn about Elastic Block Store (persistent storage over reboots),
need to learn more about snapshots to S3
  * learn about Elastic IP Addresses (allows mapping between public IP's
to internal virtual machine IP's, note that data transfer between
internal IP's is cheaper)
  * start up virtual server
  * install tahoe-lafs (sudo apt-get install tahoe-lafs)
  * provision introducer, helper, nodes, note using 10-of-12 encoding
  * start up the grid and test out uploads and downloads
  * set up a web client and accounting db (not complete yet)

Next up is determining what the best setup is for CPU's and disk space,
maybe using a load balancer, and making a Windows build that will
default to this grid. After that are the statistics and monitoring tools
followed by performance and load tests.

Parallel to this is an economic analysis of what the costs are. I'll
post this as a spreadsheet when it's actually legible, so far it's
mostly scribbles on scratch paper and some rough calculations. For the
particular application I'm working towards, the margins are high enough
to make the rough analysis clearly indicate that this is a direction
worth pursing.

Ps