[tahoe-dev] packaging for Fedora and Debian blocked on C++ issues (was: plans for tahoe-1.3.0 release)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Feb 9 19:46:47 UTC 2009

Hi Andrej Falout:

On Feb 7, 2009, at 18:28 PM, Andrej Falout wrote:

>    * pycryptopp improvements — link against system libcryptopp.so
> for Debian and Fedora packagers, add new improved ECDSA, build out
> more buildbots, etc.
>
> I'm assuming "Fedora packages" refers to .rpm? Where can they be
> found?

They don't yet exist -- Ruben Kerkof of the Fedora project kindly
offered to create them for us (and Micah Anderson of the Debian
project kindly offered to build .deb's), but there is a problem
linking the standard python interpreter to the standard libcryptopp.so.

Here are details:

http://allmydata.org/trac/pycryptopp/ticket/9

I can think of a few ways to fix this:

1.  Modify the python interpreter to pass the RTLD_GLOBAL flag to
dlopen().

This probably won't happen, because the upstream Python maintainers
have already rejected this, and although I don't understand their
reasons, I assume that they are good reasons, and that therefore the
Fedora Python maintainers will not patch the Fedora version of Python
to do this.

2.  Use the gcc exported-symbol map file to specify that the relevant
symbols are exported *only* from libcryptopp.so, not also from the
pycryptopp code that uses those symbols.

This is the cleanest solution, if it works.  I've never used the gcc
exported-symbols map file myself.

3.  Remove the features of pycryptopp that rely on comparing symbols
that were defined in Crypto++ and used in pycryptopp.

The features in question are:

feature 1: defining hexdigest() by attaching an instance of
HexEncoder to an instance of ArraySink:

http://allmydata.org/trac/pycryptopp/browser/pycryptopp/hash/
sha256module.cpp?rev=576#L69

This uses some runtime-typing features of Crypto++ to decide exaclty
how these two things ought to be attached, and that runtime-typing
depends on comparing symbols compiled in libcryptopp.so with symbols
compiled in pycryptopp.so.

Note, you can currently avoid this runtime failure by not
invoking .hexdigest().  For example, you can invoke .digest() instead
and then hex-encode the result yourself.

So we could either remove .hexdigest() entirely or rewrite it to not
depend on the automatic detection of how to attach a HexEncoder to an
ArraySink.  I'm a little vague on exactly how that latter feature
works and why it compares symbols, but it shouldn't be too hard to
just "hard-wire" it so that it doesn't need to compare symbols.

feature 2: raising exceptions from Crypto++ and catching them in
pycryptopp.

This is a more convenient and safer way to handle problems such as
invalid inputs, e.g. keys can't be this size for this algorithm, than
the alternative approach of having pycryptopp pre-validate the inputs
so that it is sure Crypto++ won't raise an exception on those
inputs.  However, it requires comparing symbols.  So one way to stop
relying on this is just to add pre-checking to pycryptopp to validate
those inputs.

Hm...  On the other hand, currently pycryptopp has extensive unit
tests which assert that arbitrary corruption of ECDSA keys will be
handled gracefully at runtime (if you accidentally pass a sample of /
dev/urandom in place of an ECDSA key, I mean).  I would have to delve
into some elliptic curve math to replicate all the Crypto++ validity
checks in pycryptopp.  This strategy seems like a bad idea.

Okay, so if anyone out there wants to contribute a fix to this, that
would be great!  To replicate the problem is very simple: "python ./
setup.py build --disable-embedded-cryptopp && python ./setup.py test".