[tahoe-dev] darcs patch: Allow client-specified keys

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Wed Feb 11 21:26:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:03:12 +1100
Andrej Falout <andrej at falout.org> wrote:

> Please excuse the ignorant end-user, but could this be used to provide
> data privacy I was asking about previously, without the need to wait
> for Accounting project + DSA-based mutable files (with traversal
> caps)?

Unfortunately not. This feature allows an individual file upload to use a
client-specified key (instead of the default content-based hash), which is
necessary for the way that Shawn's backup tool is designed to work. It
results in a regular URI:CHK:... filecap, just like before. All of the same
system-wide accounting / repair / traversal limitations still exist.

sorry,