[tahoe-dev] Thinking about building a P2P backup system

Francois Deppierraz francois at ctrlaltdel.ch
Thu Jan 8 16:47:57 UTC 2009

Shawn Willden wrote:

>>> Next, I want incremental backups and versioning, and I want them to
>>> be done bandwidth-efficiently.
>> Have you seen the duplicity plugin that Francois Deppierraz posted?
>> Maybe that does exactly what you want.  :-)
>
> I'll look, but if it works at the tarball level like duplicity, then no, it's
> not what I want.

Yes, it is a simple backend plugin for duplicity which stores tarballs
on a tahoe grid.

The main drawback of this approach is that it's not possible to access
the latest version of a backed up file directly. You always need to ask
duplicity to download and unpack it.

I have been thinking about integrating rdiff-backup with tahoe to
overcome this issue. But this is certainly more difficult because
rdiff-backup was designed to access files using standard syscalls and
not some dumbed down API like duplicity.

François