[tahoe-dev] Authority to DoS via WAPI

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jan 14 21:01:44 UTC 2009

Greetings, Toby Murray!

Welcome!

Thanks for the kind words.

> It seems strange to require an unguessable (F)URL to join the grid
> but not one to consume space on it.

You're right.  We have detailed plans to implement fine-grained,
decentralized, efficient, delegatable, auditable control of the usage
of space.  I think Brian intends to start on implementing it as soon
as Tahoe-1.3.0 is released.

But in the meantime, it sure would make sense to have a way to give
people read-only access to a grid as a whole.

One hack would be to use the fact that HTTP GETs can't be used to
cause side-effects on Tahoe.  If you give someone access to a web
proxy which passes GETs through but rejects PUTs, POSTs, and DELETEs,
then they'll have read-only access to the whole grid.

Perhaps something like that should be included in Tahoe itself -- I'm
not sure.  Patches, documentation, etc. welcome!