[tahoe-dev] problems with the build/install/test process

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jan 15 16:33:47 UTC 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Christopher Galvan wrote:

>> First: cygwin
> Brian wants to just be able to run 'python setup.py trial' and have
> it do the right thing on any platform, which I agree with.

Isn't the actually *right* thing to do to fix twisted #2234 (Select
default reactor based on platform and available libraries)?

Since tests currently pass on cygwin (and Windows and some Linuxes),
I'm satisfied with the current behavior.  If you, or Brian, want
different behavior, perhaps you could help me understand exactly what
you want by adding a test that fails.  :-)

>> Next: edgy, etch
>> This is the problem of what to do when a dependency is installed,
>> and Tahoe requires a newer version of that dependency.
> I haven't looked much into ticket #530 and will need to do so in
> order to have a better answer here :)

I just assigned #530 to you.  :-)

>> Next: hardy
>> Hm, this points to a deeper problem: the buildbot's attempt to run
>> "trial allmydata" to test the current source code from its newly
>> installed location might accidentally run the unit tests of a
>> different version of allmydata installed in the system.
> I agree, this one may be a little bit harder to track down :/  The
> traceback given by buildbot is not very helpful.

Ideally I would want the buildbot to assert that it is really
importing and testing the source code that it is supposed to be.
Could we add to the buildbot script to import the allmydata package
and inspect its __file__ attribute and fail the buildstep if it isn't
the path we were expecting?

Thanks!

tickets mentioned in this mail:

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2234 # Select default reactor
based on platform and available libraries
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/530 # use setuptools's --multi-
version mode
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/145 # "make test" tests the
installed version of allmydata, not the local sandbox version of
allmydata