[tahoe-dev] problems with the build/install/test process

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jan 15 22:36:55 UTC 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 14:52 PM, Brian Warner wrote:

>> Isn't the actually *right* thing to do to fix twisted #2234
>> (Select default reactor based on platform and available libraries)?
>
> For future versions of Twisted, sure. But we seem to be trying to
> be compatible with some number of old platforms (dapper, etc),

That part is already solved by [3422].  The topic was about how to
solve it better in the future.

> "import" should import whatever comes first in the PYTHONPATH, right?
> I must say, seeing how badly setuptools futzes around with
> sys.path, I can't say I feel confident that the ordering of
> PYTHONPATH matters anymore. I miss this loss of confidence and
> control.

This is setuptools issue #53 (respect the PYTHONPATH).  I submitted a
patch to fix it and posted about it to the distutils-sig list:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-November/
010487.html # patch: solving the two major things that people dislike
about setuptools, part 1

PJE, the maintainer of setuptools rejected my patch, and some other
people on the distutils-sig list replied to say that this was the
last straw and they were going to fork setuptools.

Hopefully after Tahoe-1.3 release we can start using the fork and it
will respect the PYTHONPATH.  Also, there's a possibility that we
could contribute a patch to setuptools that PJE would accept that
would also make it respect the PYTHONPATH, but I'm not precisely sure
how it would work.  I intend to think about that at some point, but
I've been awfully busy with Tahoe.  Please read the thread rooted at
that URL above for full context.  See also, if you are curious the
[[issue tickets]] tiddler on my klog which contains a (dizzyingly
large) list of issue tickets that I'm trying to pay attention to.

> Perhaps the "tahoe version" command should sprout a --verbose flag,
> which could emit the import location of each module it uses
> ('import allmydata; print allmydata.__version__, str(allmydata)').

That's a neat idea.

tickets mentioned in this mail:

http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue53 # respect the PYTHONPATH

patches mentioned in this mail: