[tahoe-dev] Mac users: Publish your iCal calendars over Tahoe

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Fri Jul 10 03:40:37 UTC 2009

How to publish iCal calendars over Tahoe:

1. Create a directory and get its http-URL cap, e.g.
    http://localhost:9797/uri/URI%3ADIR2%3Ablahblahblah/

2. In the iCal publishing settings choose "Publish on: a Private
Server". Paste the the aforementioned directory cap into the Base URL
field. Enter anything in the Login and Password fields, because iCal
insists on them.

(Note also that if you reenter the publish dialog ("Change
Location...") the port number will be missing. This is a bug in iCal.)

3. Get the read-only directory cap by going to the directory in a
browser and clicking "Read-Only Version", e.g.
   http://localhost:9797/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%3Ablihblihblih/
Append to it whatever you entered in the "Publish calendar as:" field,
followed by ".ics". This is the URL to subscribe to.

   http://localhost:9797/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%3Ablihblihblih/foo.ics

(Or, if you aren't terribly annoyed by URL-scheme-abuse-as-disposition-
instructions, that's
   webcal://localhost:9797/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%3Ablihblihblih/foo.ics
)

(Note: I'm using a directory instead of a mutable file because iCal
insists on having a url of the format <base>/<name>.ics, and I didn't
immediately find anything in the tahoe web interface that would be in
that format and also PUTable.)

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>