[tahoe-dev] How does file deletion work?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jul 14 16:01:00 UTC 2009

Thanks for the responses. So as I understand it:

1. a node will keep (its chunks of) a file based on renewal requests.
2. If these don't come in the file will be marked for garbage collection.
3. If a file is listed in a directory then this will lead
automatically to renewal of the relevant leases
4. However if it is no longer linked from any directory explicit
renewal requests would have to be sent.
5. So by unlinking a file from all directories, in the absence, of any
explicit renewal requests, it will be deleted from the grid.

Does this sound right?

Rufus

Join our "100 supporters pledge": http://www.pledgebank.com/support-okfn
Promoting Open Knowledge in a Digital Age - http://www.okfn.org/