[tahoe-dev] seeking volunteer for an hour's labor Re: [tahoe-lafs] #773: run through installation on Windows

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Sun Jul 26 06:59:20 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009 11:22:54 pm Shawn Willden wrote:
> At this point, it looks like my only option is to (a) install cygwin, (b)
> get python2.5 sources, (c) get python-mingw, (d) build python with mingw
> and then (e) retry with the mingw-built python.

Lots of googling turned up this page:

	http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions

which gave me the trick:  You have to create a distutils.cfg file that tells
distutils to use mingw32.  So...

10.  Created a distutils.cfg file as specfied at

	http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions

then tried building again.  Failed trying to build pyopenssl with the
error "Cannot find ssleay32.a".  So, the openssl libraries apparently need to
be installed.

11.  Installed pyopenssl package from:

	http://launchpadlibrarian.net/29331282/pyOpenSSL-0.9.win32-py2.5.exe

then tried building again.  Dang.  It still tries to download and build
pyopenssl, even though it's already installed in site-packages.

12.  Hacked around that problem by copying ssleay32.dll from the site-packages
installation to C:\Windows\system32.  Tried building again, and it succeeded!

13.  Run the tests.  Oddly, it rebuilt a bunch of stuff, including pycryptopp.
22 tests failed, it looks like all of them because they tried to use OpenSSL
and failed to load a DLL.  Copied the other DLL (libeay32.dll) to system32.
Same problem.

14.  Run "python setup.py install".  Succeeded.  Try the tests again.  Same
failures.  Not good.

15.  Try to start tahoe node.  Fails with the DLL load error.

:-(

	Shawn.