[tahoe-dev] seeking volunteer for an hour's labor Re: [tahoe-lafs] #773: run through installation on Windows

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Sun Jul 26 15:28:30 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 July 2009 07:53:40 am Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> > 3.  Back to the instructions.  The link is to a 1.4 zip file.
> > Couldn't find a 1.5 zip file.  Got a clean checkout with darcs,
> > removed the _darcs directory, zipped it up and copied it over to
> > Windows.
>
> Oh, if you get a chance to do something like this again soon, please
> get a recent snapshot from http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/
> snapshots/ .

Okay, Trying that now...

I did look there before, but I just looked at version numbers, not dates, and
I was looking for 1.5, not 1.4.1-r4026.

Anway, I removed everything I had installed (all python packages, mingw,
python itself), then installed python 2.5.4 and pywin32-214.  I wish I'd had
the foresight to snapshot the VM after installing SP2, but I didn't.  After I
get through this, I'll start over again, with a fresh XP install.

Then I unpacked the latest snapshot and ran the build.

Got a warning on the zope.interface install saying that an optional extension
could not be compiled.

Doh!  Downloaded a tarball for pycryptopp, not an egg.  It said:

-----------------
Processing dependencies for allmydata-tahoe==1.4.1-r4026
Searching for pycryptopp>=0.5.15
Reading http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/deps/tahoe-dep-sdists/
Reading http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/deps/tahoe-dep-eggs/
Best match: pycryptopp 0.5.15
Downloading
http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/deps/tahoe-dep-sdists/pycryptopp-0
.5.15.tar.gz
Processing pycryptopp-0.5.15.tar.gz
------------------

So it appears it looked for an egg, but got the tarball.

Ah ha!  I looked on that page and there is no egg for python 2.5 win32.  There
is for python 2.6.  I'm off to try that.  I'd rather use 2.6 anyway; I only
used 2.5 because that's what the installation directions said.

> > 5.  Opened a cmd.exe window.  Went to c:\tahoe and ran "python
> > setup.py build".  Got "'python' is not recognized as an internal or
> > external command, operable program or batch file." Changed it to "c:
> > \Python25\python setup.py build".
>
> Hm, so installing Python didn't add that directory to your path.

No.  I ended up adding it later.  Had to add mingw as well.  Adding paths on
Windows is a PITA.  And I think maybe I needed to add something else, which
caused my trouble building openssl.  A library path, maybe.

	Shawn.