[tahoe-dev] seeking volunteer for many hours labor Re: [tahoe-lafs] #773: run through installation on Windows

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jul 27 12:17:06 UTC 2009

On Sunday,2009-07-26, at 22:27 , Shawn Willden wrote:

>> The easiest way is to install that version of pyOpenSSL into your
>> system (i.e. "cd pyOpenSSL && python ./setup.py install").
>
> This option doesn't work.  Even with pyOpenSSL installed on my
> system, the Tahoe setup insists on trying to build it again.  This
> is after installing it from an MSI package.

Which MSI package?  "pyOpenSSL-0.9.win32-py2.6.msi" from https://
bugs.launchpad.net/pyopenssl/+bug/238658/comments/74 ?  That would be
a bug (whether in pyOpenSSL packaging or in setuptools),

Does the .msi install a file or directory named "pyOpenSSL-0.9-py2.6-
win32.egg-info"?

> BTW... "an hour's labor"... Ha!

Ahem.  Yes, well in my defense almost none of the problems we've
encountered so far have to do with building Tahoe-LAFS itself so much
as with building dependencies.  Hence the "higher layer" of having
prepackaged binaries of the dependencies for people who want to spend
less than twelve hours installing.  I just now got the python 2.5
win32 package of pycryptopp automatically uploading:

http://allmydata.org/buildbot-pycryptopp/builders/windows-native/
builds/103/steps/upload%20egg/logs/stdio

Landing here:

http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/deps/tahoe-dep-eggs/

And I'm now going to get the recent pyOpenSSL binaries attached to
this ticket:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyopenssl/+bug/238658

and copy them into our "tahoe-dep-eggs" directory...

There.  Okay as visible in the README.html (scroll down to the bottom
when viewing the "tahoe-dep-eggs" directory), we are lacking packages
for some versions of Python on some operating systems.  Hopefully
we'll get some volunteer buildbots set up to build those.