[tahoe-dev] darcs patch: Lossmodel updates

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Tue Jul 28 21:29:42 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 02:54:47 pm Brian Warner wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Shawn Willden <shawn-tahoe at willden.org>
>
> wrote:
> > Sorry for the size.  It seems to me that there's little value in
> > having the paper in the tree without a PDF of it that people can
> > read.
>
> I go back and forth on this sort of thing. One compromise I've tried
> with other projects is to put the document source (TeX, lyx, SVG,
> texinfo, etc) under version control, but then arrange for the release
> process to render it into something readable (PDF, png, info) for
> inclusion in the release tarball.

I also generally prefer to avoid including generated files in source control.
It's a bigger issue with generated files that are expected to change
frequently, which this won't, but it's still an issue.  In this case I'm not
sure that automatically building the PDF is a good choice, though, because
the requirements to build it are pretty heavy.  A full TeX installation is
around a half a gigabyte, plus a bit more for LyX.

I think zooko's suggestion is probably the best one: just include a link to
the PDF hosted elsewhere.

I'll submit a revised patch with just the source changes plus the addition of
a README file that links to the PDF.

	Shawn.