[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #534: "tahoe cp" command encoding issue

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 02:56:26 UTC 2009

I started reading François's patches in ticket #534.  (I also read [1]
and [2], but not yet [3] or  [4].)  I would love it if we could get
those unicode fixes into v1.5, and François's approach of implementing
only the easy part that we know that we'll want is a good approach,
but so far I think it is insufficiently unit-tested -- the first patch
[5] and the second [6] don't come with unit tests for the code changed
or added in the patch.

Also it looks like, in patch [5], that it is designed for Tahoe to get
filenames through the Python byte-oriented APIs (i.e.
"os.listdir(bytestring)") and then pass them through fs_to_unicode(),
which can switch as necessary by platform or encoding.  I don't think
this will work; if you get filenames using the byte-oriented APIs on
Windows then you'll get something which (maybe!?) can't be properly
decoded into unicode.  Instead we need to wrap "os.listdir()" with
something which switches on platform and uses the unicode-oriented
os.listdir() on Windows and Mac and the byte-oriented os.listdir() on
other.

[1] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-May/001716.html
[2] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-May/001718.html
[3] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-May/001721.html