[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #383: large directories take a long time to modify

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jun 25 17:40:42 UTC 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 10:30 AM, tahoe-lafs wrote:

> Comment(by zooko):
>  Also, let this be a lesson to us to that if we notice forward-
>  compatibility issues and fix them early then this frees us up to
> evolve
>  the protocols earlier.  We actually stopped ''needing'' the HMAC
> tags when
>  we released Tahoe-LAFS v0.7 in 2008-01-07, but we didn't notice
> that we
>  were still checking them and erroring if they were wrong until the
> v1.3.0
>  release.  So, everybody go look at
>  [http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/search?q=forward-compatibility
> forward-
>  compatibility issues] and fix them!

This is especially important for the imminent Tahoe-LAFS v1.5.0 (due
out Real Soon Now), because that version is going to be integrated
into Debian, Ubuntu, Nexenta, and perhaps other operating systems.

Therefore, we should expect to have to maintain backward-
compatibility with Tahoe-LAFS v1.5 for many years.