[tahoe-dev] Perforce backend served by tahoe.

Marc Tooley tahoe-devPOST at quake.ca
Mon Jun 29 22:24:02 UTC 2009

Hey Peter,

I built it purely for evaluation. However, I will either be using it
plus tahoe for my home backups (manipulating files in an SCM is sooo
much easier than in something complicated like.. Bacula for example) or
just tahoe solely. Since I can retype all my existing repository (which
is about 3-4TB right now) into a Tahoe backend basically on-the-fly, I
don't have to decide right now, and I can always just switch it back
with relatively minimal fuss.

My current Perforce repositories contain:

20940 files in (records + hobby projects) representing 425MB
550 files in (library/reference material) representing 551MB
3600 files in (email archives) representing 7GB
98000 files in (software tracking) representing 1GB
25806 files in (websites) representing 378MB
153000 files in (backups) representing 1.1TB

Plus an additional 2TB of media files that should be checked-in but
currently aren't because until Tahoe came along, I wasn't satisfied
with any other way of aggregating my dozen or so individual servers'
storage devices together. "Software tracking" includes complete copies
and histories and personal branches of MySQL, PHP, Apache, gpsd, ircII,
lighttpd, mythtv, a pile of quake-related software, SDL, etc.

Anyway, the only reason why I wouldn't be able to use Tahoe for
everything would be the speed my script works with small files. The
time it takes to check-out the entire Linux 2.6.9 RHEL kernel with my
trigger, for example, spans a few hours. That's a pretty long time to
wait. :-) It's about 1.2 seconds for each individual file.

I might end up just using Tahoe as a *backup* mechanism instead for the
software tracking/small stuff, and then directly for the big huge media
backup repositories.