[tahoe-dev] Base32

Jeremy R. Fishman jfishman at bowdoin.edu
Sat Mar 7 19:28:37 UTC 2009

zooko wrote:
> Hello, Jeremy Fishman.  Thanks for looking at the tahoe source.
>

>> tahoe-dev mailing list
>> tahoe-dev at allmydata.org
>> http://allmydata.org/cgi-bin/mailman/
> zooko wrote:

No problem, it's great stuff!
> There's one more difference, which is visible only when the length of
> the input in bytes isn't a multiple of 5:

Yes, I knew of that, but didn't bother to check if base32 encoding was
ever used on strings with partial quanta.
> I would not reject a patch to replace zbase32 with suitably wrapped
> base64, especially if it came with tests of the padding situation and
> measurements of performance.  :-)

I'll be happy to if I get to it, as I would be glad to begin to
contribute.  I'm working on project implementing Chord/DHash with
Twisted/Foolscap, in case that sounds interesting.  I haven't looked yet
at how hard it would be to integrate into the Tahoe storage backend, but
if you have any starting tips/pointers I'd be much obliged.

  - Jeremy