[tahoe-dev] buildbot update

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 9 16:24:58 UTC 2009

Folks:

We have a buildbot policy now [1].  It says: there is a subset of the
builders which are "Supported Builders".  We don't allow Supported
Builders to stay red.  Whenever a new patch is committed, and all of
the Supporter Builders pass all tests, then the package builders
automatically trigger and produce .debs, tarballs/zipfiles, and
(soon) .egg's.

Therefore, whenever you download a .deb, source tarball, or
binary .egg of Tahoe, you know you're downloading a version that
passed all tests on all Supported Builders.

There are currently eight Unsupported Builders: Eugen lenny-amd64,
zooko yukyuk jauntyish, Ruben Fedora, Dan ArchLinux, zooko draco Mac-
PPC 10.4, zooko ootles Mac-amd64 10.4, deb-lenny-amd64 (Eugen's
buildslave when used to build .debs), and deb-intrepid-amd64 (Shawn's
buildslave when used to build .debs).

Of these Unsupported Builders, some of them are currently failing:

Eugen lenny-amd64 is out of disk space.  Eugen: can you provision
more disk space for that virtual machine or should we prune and
compress the data stored in it?

Dan ArchLinux has some infinite recursion in zope.interface.  Dan:
Perhaps we could try experimenting with different versions of the
zope.interface package on that box?  It could be a bug caused by or
triggered by our setup and testing code.  What is zope.interface's
"implementedByFallback"?

The Debian package builder on Shawn's intrepid box is successfully
building .debs, but has nowhere to upload them.  Brian, Shawn: could
we arrange it so that it uploads the .debs to a directory on a Tahoe
grid?  :-)

The rest of the Unsupported Builders are currently green and have no
known issues.  I request Brian's agreement to promote them to
Supported Builders.  (Remember, we are allowed to demote them to
Unsupported again later, according to our policy.)  Those are Ruben's
Fedora builder and three machines of mine: zooko yukyuk jauntyish,
zooko draco Mac-PPC 10.4, and zooko ootles Mac-amd64 10.4.

Finally, I want more buildbots!  I especially want an ARM
architecture buildbot, since Zandr and David Reid have both been
experimenting with building Tahoe on embedded devices with ARM CPUs.
Also, if your favorite platform is not represented on the buildbot
list (BSD anyone?), please consider contributing a buildbot so that
the Tahoe developers can make sure that new versions of Tahoe
continue to work on your platform.

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/BuildbotPolicy