[tahoe-dev] plans for tahoe-1.3.1

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 9 17:04:43 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 20:23 PM, Andrej Falout wrote:

> In your plans, is there something you can do to improve upload
> speed? Directory creation speed?

Thanks for the feedback!  Again, I'm really glad to have an end-user
on this list reminding the developers of what he wants.

Let's prioritize faster uploads and downloads for tahoe-1.4.  This is
the ticket describing what we already know about it:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/392 # pipeline upload segments
to make upload faster

It would actually be a reasonable task for a newcomer to tackle.  To
real solve it in the best possible way is equivalent to
reimplementing TCP on top of foolscap messages, or else switching
from foolscap to HTTP for storage protocol, but to do some reasonable
hack that makes it, let's say "twice as fast", for typical
situations, should be quite doable.

See these graphs of how throughput has *dropped* dramatically as
we've changed Tahoe to make it better along other dimensions:

http://allmydata.org/tahoe-figleaf-graph/hanford.allmydata.com-
tahoe_speedstats_rate.html

In fact, that graph reminds me of an even *easier* hack, just set the
segment size back to a few MiB instead of its currently value of 128
KiB, and see if that significantly improves performance from Andrej's
perspective!