[tahoe-dev] Google Summer of Code! Mentors and Ideas wanted.

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Mar 12 18:14:11 UTC 2009

Folks:

Thanks to Nils Durner and Brian Warner for signing up on the wiki to
be Mentors:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/GSoCIdeas

We could use more Mentors!  To be a Mentor does *not* necessarily
require familiarity with the Tahoe code-base nor even with Python
(because some of the best GSoC ideas are more about building on top
of Tahoe through the wapi).

It does require:

1.  commitment; You commit to contacting your student and chatting
with him/her at least twice a week all summer long.

2.  being a good programmer

3.  being nice and friendly

If you meet these qualifications, then please sign up on the
GSoCIdeas wiki page!  Your role will mainly be about sharing your
ideas and wisdom and reminding your student to follow the Tahoe best
practices -- thorough tests, good documentation, many small frequent
patches, and participating openly on the mailing list.

Tomorrow is the deadline for Tahoe to apply to GSoC to be a Mentoring
Organization.  I think you might still be able to join as a Mentor
after that point, but our chances of being accepted into the program
are probably improved by having good mentors already signed up.  Note
that not everyone who signs up will necessarily end up with a
student.  Presumably you can always share your ideas and wisdom with
someone else's student in that case.  ;-)