[tahoe-dev] Google Summer of Code! Mentors and Ideas wanted.

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat Mar 14 20:40:37 UTC 2009

Okay folks, we've applied to be a Google Summer of Code project.
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and especially to our Mentor
volunteers -- Nils Durner, Brian Warner, me, Jack Lloyd, and Nathan
Wilcox and to Peter Secor for volunteering to be backup admin in case
I get hit by a bus.

The next step is that the Google Summer of Code admins look at the
applications fro 300-or-so organizations and select about 150 to
sponsor for this summer.  Here are their selection criteria:

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/
orgcriteria

Here is a quote from it: "2) Do the projects on your ideas list look
feasible for student developers?  Is your ideas list thorough and
well-organized?  Your ideas list is the first place that student
participants are going to look to get information on participating in
GSoC, so putting a lot of effort into this list is a good thing(tm).
One thing we noticed and really appreciate is how some organizations
classified their ideas by easy, medium and difficult, and
specifically listed the skills and background required to complete a
given task.  It might also be cool to expand on each idea with some
places to get started research-wise (pointers to documentation or
specific bugs), as well as the impact finishing a given idea will
have for the organization."

These are good suggestions and we should update our Ideas page:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/GSoCIdeas

In addition to the suggestions that the GSoC folks made, above, we
should also cross-reference any relevant trac tickets with the
GSoCIdeas page.  So if you have any more ideas to add or if you can
contribute some editing work to that page, thank you!