[tahoe-dev] Google Summer of Code! Mentors and Ideas wanted.

Nathan nejucomo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:49:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

I just added my name and some project ideas to the wiki page.  This
email is about Summer of Code in general, and I'll send a separate one
about my specific project ideas.

A coworker gave me some advice for managing student interns which
boils down to frequent status updates.  My goal as a mentor is to
spend one hour each week day reviewing work submitted, chatting
interactively, and proposing new courses of action.

It sounds like one trick is allowing for a high variance in competence
and efficiency, so as we designate projects it would benefit Tahoe to
define layered goals for the GSoC project ideas.

My coworker also recommended looking at the FreeBSD GSoC projects page
to get a feel for scope (although with the caveat that FreeBSD is a
different animal.  ;-)

http://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2008

For the GSoC selection process, I recommend we write descriptions for
that audience by including some background in the technology and skill
sets the project exposes to the intern.

Nathan