[tahoe-dev] No Google Summer of Code for you!

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Mar 25 03:10:28 UTC 2009

No Google Summer of Code for you!  But how about an all-volunteer,
shoestring budget summer of code, instead?

Tahoe was not accepted to be one of the 150 organizations that google
will pay a student to hack on this summer.

They give feedback to rejected organizations, explaining why they
weren't chosen.  Our feedback was: "Ideas list needs more things like
programming languages one needs to know, categorization by easy
medium and hard".

So this means that the 1000 students that google is going to pay to
hack on open source projects this summer will not be offered Tahoe as
one of their options.  However, we have such good mentor volunteers,
and such good ideas, that I'm really hoping to find some other way to
rope some young hacker into learning under our tutelage this summer.

The first possibility is that the Python Software Foundation might
let one of the students assigned to them work on a Tahoe project this
summer.  The next step on that path is for our mentors to write to
the Python Software Foundation GSoC organizer, Arc Riley
<arcriley at gmail.com> introducing yourself and saying you are
affiliated with the Tahoe project and would mentor a student this
summer.

The next possibility is that some students will volunteer to hack on
Tahoe this summer in return for the benefit of experience and for the
chance to work with excellent mentors.  The next step on that path is
for any students out there reading this to write to one or more of
the mentors listed on http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/GSoCIdeas
saying that you would like to work on a project this summer.

Please let me know if you're interested!