[tahoe-dev] Tahoe on NAS boxes?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:22:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Aleksandr Milewski <zandr at allmydata.com> wrote:
> I have a LS-CHL running Lenny that has a tahoe buildslave (and I think a
> pycryptopp buildslave as well, zooko?) Compiling native, anyway,
> pycryptopp and tahoe both fail tests.

I haven't set up the pycryptopp buildslave on your ARM box yet.

> Zooko was going to look into the pycryptopp failure (which may not be
> the only problem, but is surely blocking), but I don't know where that
> was on his list of priorities.

Me, neither, except that it definitely comes somewhere below acquiring
money to feed my family.  :-)

I'm about to update the Tahoe Roadmap to show what I hope to put into
the v1.5 release, and I will include a fully supported ARM port on
that list.

> It is *very* slow, however. The new Linkstation Pro (LS-XHL) should be
> much better, as the ARM9EL core is now running at 1.2GHz, instead of
> 266MHz. I don't know if anyone has Lenny running on one yet.

I'm very interested to know what the limiting factors are on
performance of Tahoe on such tiny machines.  The lowest-powered
machine that I've ever used Tahoe on is my trusty Mac PowerBook with a
PowerPC G4 @ 867 MHz which I use Tahoe on every day.  Actually that's
not quite true -- the *very* lowest-powered machine that I've ever
used Tahoe on was "Adam's Laptop Named Victim", which was running
Tahoe right up until the final moments here:

http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI:DIR2-RO:j74uhg25nwdpjpacl6rkat2yhm:kav7ijeft5h7r7rxdp5bgtlt3viv32yabqajkrdykozia5544jqa/wiki.html#[[Laptop%20Versus%20Axe]]

:-)

Adam's Laptop Named Victim was I think a Celeron 400 MHz with about
128 MB of RAM.  I don't remember precisely.

The "Bird Tweeting Cartoon Movie" that I displayed on the projector
was partially being served up from Adam's Laptop Named Victim (the
first time I showed it).