[tahoe-dev] Tahoe on NAS boxes?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:19:13 UTC 2009

Dear Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga:

Welcome back!  There seem to be a lot of people interested in Tahoe on
embedded devices.

Thank you for the bug report.  Comments in-line below.

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga
<humberto at hpcf.upr.edu> wrote:
> I have a Linksys NSLU2 with Unslung installed. I tried installing tahoe
> on top of python 2.5.4, but building pycryptopp fails.
>
> The failure:
> gcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
> Please submit a full bug report.
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> error: Setup script exited with error: command '/opt/bin/gcc' failed
> with exit status 1
>
> I saw a similar error on an OLPC XO, which uses x86 processor, so it may
> not be related to ARM. It may be gcc is running out of memory? The OLPC
> has 256 MB RAM, the NSLU2 only 32 MB.

I think you make a good guess.  I know that building pycryptopp with
g++ takes a lot of memory.  Let's see if we can confirm that this is
what happens, and if this is the problem then the solution is to build
binaries of pycryptopp on a machine with plenty of RAM and upload
those binaries to this tahoe directory [1], which the tahoe build
process searches.

> Does the build process leave logs? The
> /tmp/easy_install-cGuIYz/pycryptopp-0.5.10/egg-dist-tmp-skdIST directory
> no longer exists.

When building tahoe, pycryptopp is considered to be a dependency, and
the building of the dependency does not leave logs -- the temp
directory gets cleaned up after attempting to build the dependency.
Please download the pycryptopp source code from
http://allmydata.org/trac/pycryptopp and run "python ./setup.py
build".

Thank you!

[1] http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%3Asnrfwfxatrci35zdgjnzxxx2ke%3Aunarxv347edtku3xzmefy4mcdmfngxzeb72iyqcadbjzjpczjx5a