[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #684: let client specify the encryption key

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Sun May 24 16:27:15 UTC 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009 11:10:01 am Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> Hey waitaminute, why does anyone need to specify the encryption key?
> I can understand why they would want to ask Tahoe to generate a
> random key instead of a content-hash-key (this speeds up the process
> because Tahoe doesn't need to read and hash the entire file in order
> to generate the key).  But why does someone (Shawn, this means you)
> need to specify a chosen encryption key?

At present, I don't think I do.  It allowed a useful space optimization for my
read cap index files, but for other reasons I've done away with that.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else finds a need for it, and I
disagree that it's a particularly dangerous feature.  There are a LOT of
things that someone writing a client can do to screw themselves, this is just
another of them.

For now, though, I don't think there's a need for it.

	Shawn.