[tahoe-dev] Using allmydata.com production grid?

Peter Secor secorp at allmydata.com
Sat May 30 14:53:12 UTC 2009

Hi David,

   We don't currently have a way of identifying particular servers or
sets of servers to hold shares. Because of this, on our production
network we like to control the storage servers, specifically the
bandwidth to them. By design, any node can technically become a storage
node, but operationally we are discouraging that for our production grid.

   There are at least two volunteer grids available in which everybody
participates as a storage node. One can be accessed by the following
introducer:

pb://6cypm5tfsv6ag43g3j5z74qx5nfxa2qq@207.7.145.200:64228,nooxie.zooko.com:64228/introducer

   and the other can be read about here:

http://blog.okfn.org/2009/05/13/launch-of-open-data-grid/

   I'm sure there are more that we don't know about :)

   A helper is a node which accepts encrypted data and performs the
erasure coding as a service. We have several helpers in our colo and
this allows users to only have to upload 1x of their data instead of
3.3x (our expansion factor for erasure coding). For slow links, this is
a big help.

Peter