[tahoe-dev] strange error

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Nov 3 21:18:20 UTC 2009

David Abrahams wrote:
> I'm sorry I wasn't able to catch all of the output, but a recent "tahoe
> backup" command failed with the following.  Any clues?

Only the last few lines are relevant (and we really ought to catch these
exceptions and render them in plain text instead of HTML):

>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/allmydata/immutable/upload.py", line 302, in _loop
    self.shares_of_happiness)
> allmydata.interfaces.NotEnoughSharesError: peer selection failed for <Tahoe2PeerSelector for upload onbcf>: placed 0 shares out of 10 total (10 homeless), sent 99 queries to 99 peers, 0 queries placed some shares, 99 placed none, got 0 errors

That suggests that the grid you're uploading into is full. Your client
spoke to 99 servers, asking each to hold a share, and got 99 "no"
situations where some of the servers returned errors, or you weren't
connected to any servers, etc). It's also possible that your grid is
supposed to have more than 99 servers, but you were only connected to a
subset of them at the start of the upload, and the 99 machines that you
*were* connected to were all full.