[tahoe-dev] got tahoe working on openbsd now

kyle at arbyte.us kyle at arbyte.us
Sun Nov 15 22:40:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm happy to report that I've got tahoe working on OpenBSD now, connected
to the test grid, and everything looks good.  Thanks Zooko for walking me
through creating a new pycryptopp dist and getting the tahoe build to use
it.

I thought it was worth mentioning that when I run a tahoe command I do get
some warnings about deprecated modules.  Are these well-known and nothing
to worry about?

/home/kyle/tahoe/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0/support/lib/python2.6/site-packages/Twisted-8.2.0-py2.6-openbsd-4.6-amd64.egg/twisted/persisted/sob.py:12:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import os, md5, sys
/home/kyle/tahoe/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0/support/lib/python2.6/site-packages/Twisted-8.2.0-py2.6-openbsd-4.6-amd64.egg/twisted/python/filepath.py:12:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
instead
  import sha
/home/kyle/tahoe/allmydata-tahoe-1.5.0/support/lib/python2.6/site-packages/foolscap-0.4.2-py2.6.egg/foolscap/banana.py:2:
DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
  import struct, sets, time

My interest in tahoe is to use the allmydata.com service to do backups.  I
obviously won't be using the Windows client software for this, so I need to
create my own backup policy.  I'd like to ask the list if there are common
best known methods for this.

I think my approach will be to designate a few directories I want backed
up, and do the backup operation perhaps every week or so.  I would want to
keep a few historical copies of the data (e.g. one for last week, one for
two weeks ago, up to a couple months of history).  Is there an automated
way for me to do that as an incremental backup, or would I be making a
complete copy every time?

Is there any kind of automatic deletion on the production servers?  I can
easily delete the backups I no longer need, but I'm curious what happens
when someone loses their references to backed up data.  Is that storage
space lost permanently, unrecoverably, or is it somehow reclaimed?

Thanks all!