[tahoe-dev] usage of key file or smart card?

Stefan Xenon stefanxe at gmx.net
Sat Nov 21 13:02:10 UTC 2009

Hi!
Thanks for explaining the security mechanism. I am new to Tahoe and
tried it out in the meanwhile. In deed you are right that no passphrases
are used.

What I understood is that the confidentiality relies on the caps. Let's
assume my storage provider wants to read my data and therefore tries to
crack it. By brute force he tries all possible caps, so all possible
keys on a specific file. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What I did not understood yet is how strong the key length is. I read
that AES-128 is used but I am not sure if the key length is really 128
bit or if it is reduced to keep the cap's length usable (for URL).

For instance when encrypting a message with GnuPG I have an
understanding of "key length" which is one of the important parameters
(beside algorithm and proper usage) regarding the strength of the
protection. I don't understand this parameter in Tahoe. ?

Regards
Stefan