[tahoe-dev] Share rebalancing

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Oct 10 17:24:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday,2009-10-10, at 6:15 , Shawn Willden wrote:

> I have a small friendnet, and for some reason all of the other
> nodes went down at roughly the same time.  My backups continued
> chugging away, but the only storage node available was my local
> node -- so all shares went there.  Not very useful.
>
> I'm going to set up some monitoring stuff to notify me and
> automatically shut down the backups whenever grid health drops
> below an acceptable level,

Also Kevan Carstensen's implementation of #778 would make it so that
those uploads are reported as failing, which I think would solve the
same problem that your proposed "monitoring stuff" would.

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/778 # "shares of happiness" is
the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is better