[tahoe-dev] Share rebalancing

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Sat Oct 10 22:01:09 UTC 2009

On Saturday 10 October 2009 11:24:18 am Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> On Saturday,2009-10-10, at 6:15 , Shawn Willden wrote:
> > I have a small friendnet, and for some reason all of the other
> > nodes went down at roughly the same time.  My backups continued
> > chugging away, but the only storage node available was my local
> > node -- so all shares went there.  Not very useful.
> >
> > I'm going to set up some monitoring stuff to notify me and
> > automatically shut down the backups whenever grid health drops
> > below an acceptable level,
>
> Also Kevan Carstensen's implementation of #778 would make it so that
> those uploads are reported as failing, which I think would solve the
> same problem that your proposed "monitoring stuff" would.

It would cause the uploads to fail, which is good, but it would also lose my
careful selection of FEC parameters.  I've chosen values that achieve the
level of reliability I need, while maximizing download performance.  With
Kevan's changes, I'd be able to maintain reliability, but I'd lose d/l
performance, since it would be constrained to k * (slowest_rate).

In any case, the more important part of my question was how to fix the present
problem, rather than how to avoid it in the future :-)

	Shawn.