[tahoe-dev] notes about DIR2:CHK deep immutability (maybe Tahoe-LAFS v1.6)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Oct 21 21:32:52 UTC 2009

I imagine that deep-immutability could be useful to folks.  For
example, I could get a read-cap to a deep-immutable dir from someone,
inspect it (manually or with a script) to make sure that all the
files in it have some property, and then pass that cap on to someone
else and know that whenever they use the cap, any files that they get
will have that property.

Note that this assumes that either the Tahoe-LAFS gateway used by the
recipient to whom I give the cap has the "ignore any mutable
children" feature, or when I inspect the directory structure I have
to make sure there aren't any mutable children in there.  It does not
assume that the person who gave me the cap in the first place has a
Tahoe-LAFS gateway that has the "refuse to insert mutable children"
feature.