[tahoe-dev] Troubleshooting node connectivity

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Tue Sep 8 12:27:19 UTC 2009

While checking my backups I've noticed a problem: two of the nodes in my
friendnet aren't reachable by others.  I'm pretty sure it's not a
NAT/firewall issue, because those nodes ARE reachable by two other nodes.

Currently there are seven nodes in my friendnet, three of which are rarely
running because they're on Windows boxes, and I haven't got around to
figuring out how to reliably run Tahoe as a service and haven't convinced the
users that they always need to start it up whenever they log on.

Of the four reliable nodes (two running on Lenny, two running on Ubuntu 9.10),
the two Lenny boxes can connect to the two Ubuntu boxes, but the Ubuntu boxes
can't connect to one another.  I think the association between OS and
connectivity is coincidental.  My guess is that the real issue is that the
two Ubuntu boxes are behind NATing routers.

The routers for both have them have been configured to forward the web
interface port and the client port to the machines.  I've verified
connectivity to both of those ports in both cases, and the Lenny machines can
connect to both nodes.

One of the two Lenny machines is an LVS in a co-lo with no firewall.  The
other is connected directly to a cable modem.  It's running a fairly tight
iptables firewall, with appropriate holes poked in it.

Any idea what the problem might be?  What can I do to get more visibility into
what connections Tahoe is attempting to make (and failing)?

Thanks,

	Shawn.